Shikimic acid is a carboxylic acid obtained from the star anise (Illicium verum), considered a biosynthetic precursor of many alkaloids, aromatic amino acids, and flavonoids. It has a long history of use as spice and traditional Chinese medicine.
In the cosmetic area, it acts as a multifunctional active that aids in the treatment of acne in an effective and non-aggressive way, in addition to granting cellular renovation to the skin without causing rashes.
SHIKIMIC ACID ON THE SKIN
Shikimic acid has properties associated to chemical exfoliation and cellular renovation, without harming the skin’s protective barrier or causing rashes. Moreover, it aids against skin patches, like the ones caused by UV radiation or acne, since it presents inhibitory activity over tyrosinases, an enzyme that produces melanin.
Shikimic acid also has antimicrobial and antioxidant action, works against acne and improves the micro rugs of the skin.
KNOW MORE ABOUT SHIKIMIC ACID
- Natural active;
- Powerful antioxidant that eliminates the free radicals and prevents aging signs;
- Bacteriostatic action;
- Promotes cellular renovation without aggression;
- Reduces skin oiliness by reducing pores;
- Excellent exfoliating action;
- Does not cause rashes;
- Can be used any time of the year;
- Ideal for oily, acneic, and sensitive skin.
SHIKIMIC ACID AND SKIN ODOUR CONTROL
- Reduces and controls unwanted body odours;
- Aids the inhibition of Lipase enzyme activity, reducing the production of Oily acids;
- Aluminium salt free.
- Exfoliating action;
- Cellular renovator.